• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

So where is this Guinda Commons located?

Dunno how to put this without sounding like a smart-ass but.....Guinda Comons is.....uhmmmm...in Guinda.

Tiny little town (35 mph speed limit) about 5 miles south (on the west side of the road)of where you come out onto Hwy 16. Before the Casino (going south).

If you like pork....it is theee place. Other food is good too according to the other guys the burgers were great.

But when you walk into a place and there's pink pig salt 'n' pepper shakers on all the tables and photos of pigs on the wall and pig nicky-nacks behind the bar....that is NOT the time to order COW !

Oh yeah...and home-made cole slaw which was awesome!

I am officially looking for a set of 18" SM wheels for my Husky

18s....really???
 
Last edited:
Hey guys the last time that I rode Knoxville with a couple of other guys I mapped out some really good single track. Send me a PM and I'll give you the GPX tracks. I don't know how to post them here.
 
Hey Chris - how ya doin' :teeth Hope your still mending well and fixing up or replacing the DR...don't forget there is the stonyford 2 barf campout last weekend of March...hope to see you out there soon!
T

Thanks Tim! I'm still sore, but doing ok. I don't have an ETA on riding yet, it's not the actual driving part of the motorcycle, it's the falling over that I have to be careful of. :)

I'm on the lookout for either a KTM 350/500exc or a Beta 450RS. I haven't decided yet. I also need to get a trailer & a little bike (for my son, KLX110?). Oh, and a trials motorbike as well. :p

I look forward to meeting folks on the trail again, and glad there's a decent sized group still doing the 2nd Sunday rides.
 
Now I've got a little bike (te610) and can practice falling down just like Sid.

T

Awesome Tim! You finally have a dirtbike, well.... it's a dirt bike compared to your 600lb Vstrom1000!

Now, there will be some shuffling of the front runners me thinks......
And I think you mean you're looking for some 17" supermoto wheels yes? 19" is for flattracking and 18" is for uhhhh I dunno? :laughing

Congrats in any case :thumbup
 
Heellloooooo, Flounder here (at least that’s who I feel like).

Soooo, my lessons (re-) learned this ride:

Bring your own tools. You always have ‘em all the other rides, and you never need em. But if you don’t bring ‘em just that once…you’re screwed! So, bring ‘em….that way you’ll never need ‘em!

Just ‘cos somebody else has tools, doesn’t mean you’ll be able to use them while they continue their ride (and you need a little more time fiddling around before you figure out whats wrong).

Matches, or a lighter, don’t rely on your buddies leftover 5 sticks where the heads are falling apart (but thankyouthankyuouthankyou for having ‘em).

I regained a little karma lost thru making you all wait by helping out a family where the kid got bitten by a tick. Mom asked if I had any matches (this was before the return of the lunch burger fries PBR brigade). I didn’t. Mom said her son had a tick stuck on him. I said that’s easy, lets take a look. Kid had a fair swollen inch or so around the tick in his side. Easy pinch twist pull and out it came. Yay! Good deed for the day!

The suggestion was made to slam the first PBR to get a buzz going. I considered that. But decided to nurse them beers instead. The burger really was awesome. A stone pillow, grassy bed, blue sky and ridged treeline made a fine dining room.

You would not believe the kinda shit squirrels get up to out in the wild. Reminded me of Scrat. Trying to haul off pinecones triple their size…

Hiked around a bit, within view of the bike (oh, maybe a good idea to bring a bike lock n chain as well), along the creek, up a hill, thru some brambles. Gathered a bunch of firewood. Remembered I had my phone (no bars tho) and listened to Rammstein for about an hour and did some head banging (purely thoracic disk therapy…honest) before going to shuffle play .

Ants are pretty busy critters out there too. Careful where you sit. Look closely at the bases of trees that look enticingly comfortable before deciding to have a sit (I did remember to do this, I’m just sayin).

Got a nice fire going. Replenished the wood supply three times. Pine cones smell so nice on a fire.

I cringe to think….well, ok, I laugh to think what the people who came and went throughout the afternoon thought about the dude in muddy boots, leather pants, and “Flying Pig Amsterdam –the Grass is Greener” t-shirt, breaking sticks, feeding a fire, rockin out to some invisible heavy metal band, hauling armfuls of dry branches.

The eagles came out and circled over the creek, all around the hillsides, back and forth. A pair. Hunting together. At least 5 or 6 ft wingspans. Awesome! And even more so when CCR Walkin on the Water starts playin!

The clouds started getting greyer and the sky darker, and I began to wonder about that Sunday eve rain forecast, and how I might be able to keep the fire going thru the a little rain. I was never worried because I knew trusty Dean was on the way. But I had finished the last of the PBRs .

It really was an awesome fire! Did you know one can make drum sticks, guitar sticks as well as spear sticks from dry branches??

At pretty much 7 on the dot, I looked over at the entrance again and saw what appeared to be a silver truck with a dirt bike on it. Great joy flooded my emotions and I jumped and waved and did a little jig while I still had the big spear stick in my hands. I thought it was more like a Castaway style dance of happiness. Dean mentioned something about Lord of the Flies, but seems to have come to his senses, as I would have to admit the Dances with Wolves fire prancing thing is probably more accurate.

So, as someone said – check the simple stuff first! Never, ever, leave your own tools at home on the other bike. Matches, lighter, tinder – if you don’t know how to make a fire, learn. It kept me toasty warm the whole time. And music, yeah, that may well be the most important of all.

Next ride, I may have to figure out a way to bring a fishing pole. And a flask of rum.

Oh, and I gave Dean 3 matchsticks back. 

See you next time.
 
Tim, I conveniently left out all of the video that showed Sid disappearing off into the distance on his street tire-shod moto. Yup, I suck. :loser
Ha! no shit - Sid is fast and good...so it's rare we get to make fun of him :teeth I still remember my first or 2nd 2nd-Sunday ride with him, we did Road 41 (where Drew had to stay behind and help a beginner on a tiger - was knarly ruts) then we ended up hrs later on top of Stonyford, in the SNOW looking for a route down the other side...and poor me and Dan on his bonniville waddling thru the snow trying to follow Sid!


Dunno how to put this without sounding like a smart-ass but.....Guinda Comons is.....uhmmmm...in Guinda.

Tiny little town (35 mph speed limit) about 5 miles south (on the west side of the road)of where you come out onto Hwy 16. Before the Casino (going south).

If you like pork....it is theee place. Other food is good too according to the other guys the burgers were great.

But when you walk into a place and there's pink pig salt 'n' pepper shakers on all the tables and photos of pigs on the wall and pig nicky-nacks behind the bar....that is NOT the time to order COW !

Oh yeah...and home-made cole slaw which was awesome!



18s....really???
:thumbup yer not being smart-arsey, tho doesn't barf require it :teeth
Okay cool on the location of Guinda - in all my runs down 16 after Reiff-Rayhouse never remembered the name of the small places - and I love me some bbq pig, and coleslaw -so it sounds like my kinda place!

And yeah :loser on the 18s :p -shows how little I know! So it's 17s then; supposedly the te610s came with a second set of 17 wheels - would love to find a good deal on a set of those.


Tim, whats this Stonyford trip?
Hey George - see the thread here: weekend of playing at stonyford, I think $20/head to cover the camping fee. All are welcome.


Thanks Tim! I'm still sore, but doing ok. I don't have an ETA on riding yet, it's not the actual driving part of the motorcycle, it's the falling over that I have to be careful of. :)

I'm on the lookout for either a KTM 350/500exc or a Beta 450RS. I haven't decided yet. I also need to get a trailer & a little bike (for my son, KLX110?). Oh, and a trials motorbike as well. :p

I look forward to meeting folks on the trail again, and glad there's a decent sized group still doing the 2nd Sunday rides.
Ditto Chris! And if you're free for an afternoon the wknd Mar 27-29 and up for a short dirt ride, come on out to Stonyford and you can ride my Husky...sweet little bike! And FYI the harbor freight $250 trailers are the bomb...really work well with some thoughtful mods...peace of cake to tow, and fold up like a pingpong table and roll into the garage.


Awesome Tim! You finally have a dirtbike, well.... it's a dirt bike compared to your 600lb Vstrom1000!

Now, there will be some shuffling of the front runners me thinks......
And I think you mean you're looking for some 17" supermoto wheels yes? 19" is for flattracking and 18" is for uhhhh I dunno? :laughing

Congrats in any case :thumbup
thanks Dean-yeah the husky is pretty sweet! And ya now I go it, 17inchers is what I want :teeth...but no, I will continue in the back with Aaron, let the crazy fast guys like you, sid, eldrick, george and others mix it up, up front - hey i'm a OFG remember...I wanna arrive in once piece so I can enjoy my pulled pork sandwich an 'slaw :teeth


T
 
Aw Shucks c'mon now I fall a lot, just pick my bike up before anyone sees me. Honestly missed all you guys and I've been away to long and forgot how much fun this adventure stuff is. Sure would like to do the Sheet Iron this year but trials event in Marin county that weekend at MCMA property and its one of my fav's. Anyways maybe a back road street ride sometime nefore I buy dirt wheels because I'm sure ill never take them off once on.:party
 
Hey, if anyone wants to do some singletrack exploring at Knoxville sometime, just let me know. I'd be happy to show you the trails that I found. Some are pretty good, but nowhere as good as Stonyford.
 
Hey, if anyone wants to do some singletrack exploring at Knoxville sometime, just let me know. I'd be happy to show you the trails that I found. Some are pretty good, but nowhere as good as Stonyford.

I would love this! Now I just need to find the time. :laughing
 
Survivalist !

Matches, lighter, tinder –

The one other thing I would add to this is:

At least 2 large size super heavy duty trash bags. Fold up to almost no space and your imagination is the only limit to their uses.

Fires are nice, but if it rains you still get wet and cold. So does the fuel BTW.
 
The one other thing I would add to this is:

At least 2 large size super heavy duty trash bags. Fold up to almost no space and your imagination is the only limit to their uses.

Fires are nice, but if it rains you still get wet and cold. So does the fuel BTW.

Good idea, I had one of those space age aluminum foil survival blankets folded up in my pack but forgot to give it to him. That and the garbage bags would have made for some nice sleeping arrangements in the event of rain. I should have left him my pocket knife too but I'm afraid if I did there would have been one less squirrel running around the grounds and a small pile of bones in the fire :laughing
 
I can hear all the side panels popping off this morning as everyone takes a hard look at their battery connections.

I did mine already.....
 
I can hear all the side panels popping off this morning as everyone takes a hard look at their battery connections.

I did mine already.....
I usually go over my bike after every ride... That way there are no surprises before or during the ride:thumbup
 
Rode out to the gate at Road 41 today for a quick recon.

GATE IS STILL LOCKED as of 4:30 PM Friday March 21....drat. So it likely will not open this weekend. Possibly next week since it's usually an April opening.

Anyways...some mileage numbers for anyone thinking about going that way this weekend.

Rayhouse Rd. "Zero Ton" bridge to Rd 41......5 miles

Rayhouse Rd. "Zero Ton" bridge to Rd 41 gate....6.5 miles

Rayhouse Rd. "Zero Ton" bridge to Guinda Commons (food/beer)...10 miles

Rayhouse Rd. "Zero Ton" bridge to Cache Creek Casino (FUEL)....17.5 miles.

No recon on the Reiff/Rayhouse (West side) gate since I was on the big roadbike (ST1100). But everyone seems pretty good at getting around that one by now so it's really not much of a problem.


Hope you find this useful.
 
Last edited:
Rode out to the gate at Road 41 today for a quick recon.

GATE IS STILL LOCKED as of 4:30 PM Friday March 21....drat. So it likely will not open this weekend. Possibly next week since it's usually an April opening.

Anyways...some mileage numbers for anyone thinking about going that way this weekend.

Rayhouse Rd. "Zero Ton" bridge to Rd 41......5 miles

Rayhouse Rd. "Zero Ton" bridge to Rd 41 gate....6.5 miles

Rayhouse Rd. "Zero Ton" bridge to Guinda Commons (food/beer)...10 miles

Rayhouse Rd. "Zero Ton" bridge to Cache Creek Casino (FUEL)....17.5 miles.

No recon on the Reiff/Rayhouse (West side) gate since I was on the big roadbike (ST1100). But everyone seems pretty good at getting around that one by now so it's really not much of a problem.


Hope you find this useful.

Thanks for the update on Rd 41! Good to know about the mileage... :ride
 
I think that the ride is still on. The gate closure isn't a big deal, really. If you aren't comfortable going up and around, the path below is a piece of cake, even for large bikes.
 
Back
Top