Pompeyboxer
New member
Hi all. I do not usually contribute to forums, but in this case I thought I might be able to help with some of this issues which have been discussed. If you look through the installation photos mine are those from the 2015 tiger 800 with the gopro adaptor on the front mudguard.
I purchased the system back in February specifically for a trip with friends to Ireland. During the initial couple of months I had several problems with the system which took a while to iron out. I now have a robust system which records without bother and is very reliable. Below is will list some of my findings along the way which I hope may be of help to others.
Intermittent switching on and off. I did struggle with this for ages. Sometimes when checking the videos it would fail to record, other times It would record when parked up regardless of the parking mode. This was contributed by two issues. One was how the unit was powered. The unit was powered from the converter supplied with the unit. This was fed from a relay which was controlled by a feed from the rear light. The problem I had is that when the alarm was enabled the rear light flashes several times, this switching of the supply would make the dvr go into parking mode regardless of setting. This has now been corrected with taking the trigger feed for the relay from the alarm immobiliser circuit. The second issue where the unit would start/ stop recording or turn on / sporadically was tracked to the remote switch. I installed this by the ignition switch and the cable run under the tank. I believe the intermittent operation was caused by pickup. I relocated the switch at the back on the bike and this has now been solved.
Corrupt files on the card. This was a combination of crap memory cards and draining the battery when the camera would default to parking mode, so when the ignition was switched off the camera could not shut down properly. Therefore using the evo cards recommended and fixing the power issues fixed this.
Issues with cameras. I have seen several problems with condensation and cameras not working. When the first issue with condensation was noted, but only with the front camera. I spoke with Rock and a new camera was sent. I did not replace the unit straight away as I thought it may be a one off. I did see some further instances and it was always on a cool summer morning after rain. I fitted the camera screen protectors which Rock sells and the problem did not repeat again. So recommend fitting these by default. I fitted the screen protector with gasket sealant not the double sided tape.
After a while the front camera failed. I took it apart and there was water ingress in the back of the camera, not as a result of the condensation. I replaced the camera with the spare and this also did not work. On inspection the usb connector had some of the pins pushed back in the connector and these were not mating correctly. To get around this I unsoldered the original camera's cable soldered it to the new camera and the system now worked. I checked the rear camera and this also has signs of water ingress. So I removed the backs off both cameras and used a sealant to seal the back onto the case. I have not had any more issues with ingress.
Finally as a cosmetic thing, the alochrome finish is not good. After the summer the front camera looking purple. A quick spray of hammerite has resorted it's look.
Since these issues the camera is working well. I have updated the power to the camera so that the camera will power on in two conditions. When the ignition is on and the imobiliser has been disarmed the camera will switch on. When the ignition is turned off yhe camera will turn itself off. Secondly if yhe alarm goes off this will also start the camera for the duration of the alarm.
I hope this is helpful and may help to fix some of your issues. Also the soldering in the cameras was shitty so this may also be a potential problem. Also never use parking mode. This will keep the internal battery fully charged so the unit shuts down properly
I purchased the system back in February specifically for a trip with friends to Ireland. During the initial couple of months I had several problems with the system which took a while to iron out. I now have a robust system which records without bother and is very reliable. Below is will list some of my findings along the way which I hope may be of help to others.
Intermittent switching on and off. I did struggle with this for ages. Sometimes when checking the videos it would fail to record, other times It would record when parked up regardless of the parking mode. This was contributed by two issues. One was how the unit was powered. The unit was powered from the converter supplied with the unit. This was fed from a relay which was controlled by a feed from the rear light. The problem I had is that when the alarm was enabled the rear light flashes several times, this switching of the supply would make the dvr go into parking mode regardless of setting. This has now been corrected with taking the trigger feed for the relay from the alarm immobiliser circuit. The second issue where the unit would start/ stop recording or turn on / sporadically was tracked to the remote switch. I installed this by the ignition switch and the cable run under the tank. I believe the intermittent operation was caused by pickup. I relocated the switch at the back on the bike and this has now been solved.
Corrupt files on the card. This was a combination of crap memory cards and draining the battery when the camera would default to parking mode, so when the ignition was switched off the camera could not shut down properly. Therefore using the evo cards recommended and fixing the power issues fixed this.
Issues with cameras. I have seen several problems with condensation and cameras not working. When the first issue with condensation was noted, but only with the front camera. I spoke with Rock and a new camera was sent. I did not replace the unit straight away as I thought it may be a one off. I did see some further instances and it was always on a cool summer morning after rain. I fitted the camera screen protectors which Rock sells and the problem did not repeat again. So recommend fitting these by default. I fitted the screen protector with gasket sealant not the double sided tape.
After a while the front camera failed. I took it apart and there was water ingress in the back of the camera, not as a result of the condensation. I replaced the camera with the spare and this also did not work. On inspection the usb connector had some of the pins pushed back in the connector and these were not mating correctly. To get around this I unsoldered the original camera's cable soldered it to the new camera and the system now worked. I checked the rear camera and this also has signs of water ingress. So I removed the backs off both cameras and used a sealant to seal the back onto the case. I have not had any more issues with ingress.
Finally as a cosmetic thing, the alochrome finish is not good. After the summer the front camera looking purple. A quick spray of hammerite has resorted it's look.
Since these issues the camera is working well. I have updated the power to the camera so that the camera will power on in two conditions. When the ignition is on and the imobiliser has been disarmed the camera will switch on. When the ignition is turned off yhe camera will turn itself off. Secondly if yhe alarm goes off this will also start the camera for the duration of the alarm.
I hope this is helpful and may help to fix some of your issues. Also the soldering in the cameras was shitty so this may also be a potential problem. Also never use parking mode. This will keep the internal battery fully charged so the unit shuts down properly










