• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Baseball '26

Today is a day off across all of MLB. This is quite rare.

But it's resetting the schedule for all the teams to close next Sunday. Next Sunday, all of the games will start at the same time to eliminate time zone discrepancies that might affect game and play outcomes.

We're coming down to the wire.

What's happening this week?

NL divisions are well set. Braves, Brewers, and Dodgers.

The wild card is well set with Cubs, Padres, and Phillies. There's some remote mathematical chances out there perhaps with the D-Backs, but, as I said, it's remote.

AL is a whole other ball game.

The AL is a complete mess this year. 9 of the 15 teams are below .500 as of today. The AL West, the division leader, the Rangers, are at .500. It's actually possible for a team to win the division with a less than .500 record. Unbelievable.

Astros are a game back from the Rangers and hold the tie breaker, so if they can make that game up they push the Rangers down two games (one to catch up, and one to jump ahead). Rangers play the Mets and the Twins this week, neither teams of great regard right now, or this season. But the Astros play the Mariners and Athletics. Technically, the Astros have a softer schedule. Stay tuned and watch the 400 teams go head to head!

The excitement is the White Sox v Guardians for the AL Central. White Sox the absolute surprise of the year after a not quite record setting disaster of a season last year. They have flipped it over this year to be sure. They are one game up on the Guardians, and they hold the tie breaker.

But the White Sox face the Red Sox and Kansas City this week, while the Guardians face Kansas City and Colorado. Guardians definitely have the lighter schedule there, as the Red Sox are going to strive for playoff position. However, at the same time, they don't want to really risk anything as right now, their wildcard game will be with the Yankees. The Red Sox don't like losing to the Yankees.

In more important news, if the Angels can win two more games, this won't be their worst season on record. We have two games with the Athletics, and then four with the Mariners. "So, you're saying there's a chance!" Yes, there's a chance. Dream little is my motto, so hoping for two more wins for the Halos.

Wildcard games start next Tuesday, coming down to the wire. Here we go!
 
Nice to see a bunch of unknown young men playing for the Orange and Black.

All the OG's are broken down... and the lack of pitching sure makes the young guys give it 100%.
 
Awesome listening to the so long messages for Mike Krukow from all kinds of baseball hero's. You can probably grab it from the KNBR website.
 
Last edited:
Kruk and Kuip helped turn my husband into a Giants fan! He was born and grew up in Oakland, his dad was a part time usher at the coliseum, and he got to see a lot of A's, Raiders, and Warriors games. After watching a lot of Giants games with me, he came on over to the dark side. He really enjoyed the broadcasts with Kruk and Kuip, and he came to realize that the National League game was just better.


🧡🖤🧡🖤 Eric and I are going to Sunday's 12:05 game, and I will have 2 extra tickets if anyone wants to go! Just let me know! The last game of the season, it is Fan Appreciation Day, and there will be a ceremony for Kruk after the game. 🖤🧡🖤🧡
 
Have a great time Giants Fan Chick!!!

Very nice of you to offer tix to a barfer.
 
I hope someone takes me up on it! I don't want the tickets to go to waste!
 
I hope someone takes me up on it! I don't want the tickets to go to waste!
Maybe post it up elsewhere??
Postwhore thread or make a new one. I don't think this one has a ton of eyes on it.
 
Maybe post it up elsewhere??
Postwhore thread or make a new one. I don't think this one has a ton of eyes on it.

I figured the baseball lovers, and Giants fans in particular, would see it here, but I guess not.
 
They may or may not. Given their season I think some have lost interest in following the thread. :dunno of course.
 
Given their season I think some have lost interest in following the thread.
Unfortunately I'm not in the bay area to catch the game. Oracle park is certainly a place I'd like to visit.

Its been a rough year as an Angel fan. I'd watch the games until they pulled the starter, then look up the score.

We gave up 7 runs in the 7th and 8th inning at the A's the other day. That's just been our season. We've lost so many games at the end.

Watching an Angel game was two different games. The good one with the starting pitching, and the bad one with the bullpen.

But I still watched most of them. Two more, we've won 2 in a row in Seattle, if we win one more we don't set the record for worst season in franchise history. If we win one more, we just tie it (and that was just a couple of years ago, 99 losses). So, I'm cheering us on.

But, more importantly, despite how bad the season went, it's still the last 2 game. We got a month of post season and then nothing for four and a half months until Spring Training. So, want to suck in as much baseball as I can.

Before the shakes come...

But, I mean, here's two tickets. On the water. In a great baseball stadium. Go watch some baseball, you sunny day fans!
 
I remember the Giants losing 100 games back in 1985. It was pretty dismal. This season is almost as bad, sitting on 95 losses as of today. There's still a lot to love about baseball, though, and the Giants in particular! I'm going to miss Kruk, and probably Kuip, too, unfortunately. Those guys made some pretty funky seasons more fun than they should have been!
 
Speaking of Giants, Kruk, and Kuip (who I don't know at all)...

I guess there was a thing about a lady and her baby at a Giants game that exploded.


This is the lady who was in the video:


(and I'm certainly not going to imply or give any kind of mark to Kruk and Kuip, this whole kerfuffle is not on them.)

So, you know, "Shut up internet!"
 
Wow…that gal owed nobody any explanation, but she sure put a lot of energy into it! Kruk and Kuip did nothing wrong, they were doing the same things they’ve seen doing for decades during their broadcasts. It’s the internet people who feel their voices and opinions deserve to be heard, which we know they don’t. I’m sorry she felt the need to explain any of that to complete strangers, and to chide Kruk and Kuip.
 
Watched this whole thing unfold and thought, oh oh. Mike and Duane often roll the dice in poking fun. They did so in this case. They are also quick to deliver mea culpas when their humor misses the mark.

In this instance, they could have stopped at "Mom of the Year", in their descriptive banter. Chiding dad was a natural flow to the conversation but better for the locker room or bar, not the broadcast.

They both walk-the-line when going off script. Was the man even her husband or the father of the baby? That turned out to be correct however, the blame game according to mom (of the year) was misplaced. So, she delivered more than just a few paragraphs to set the record straight.

Read it. It's revealing and compelling. Maybe it will slow down one knee jerk reaction on the web or in real space. If it is more than one, the whole incident will be greater than the moment of grief this woman faced in their fifteen moments of Warhol/Daudet fame.
 
I did read it, Bill.
 
Back
Top