• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Innovv C3 camera testing- motorcycle dashcam

I have 2 of these cameras and their both junk
Got a replacement for the one that wouldn't hold a charge

And now the new one is doing the same thing turning itself off
 
I've been following this thread and the associated one since the beginning and I have come to the conclusion that there are a bunch of people who are paying to beta test these things. I like the concept, I like the capabilities, but these things just don't seem like they're ready for prime time. Too bad. :(
 
Seems to be the case with anything new though. Ever had to troubleshoot the first generation GoPro Heros that ran on AAAs (or even the original GoPros)? :laughing People still have issues with the latest ones overheating and with card compatibility issues. I guess it is a bit easier dealing with a company that has a dedicated customer support line in the US.

I seriously can't think of any other hardwired waterproof options. Once I got past the quirks, it actually works really well for what I need it to do. Mine still won't take the latest firmware update though... but it's still recording my commute everyday so I can't really complain.
 
I've had mine for a while now. I liked it so much, I bought a second one. I've had issues, but nothing that wasn't handled quickly. Although, some of the guys here have had more issues than I've encountered. Budgie's definitely got some issues that need to be addressed.
 
I wouldn't trust this camera for a daily rider
Don't work half the time..if someone hits you your praying the camera was on..

$126 dollars is to much for this camera...
 
I've been following this thread and the associated one since the beginning and I have come to the conclusion that there are a bunch of people who are paying to beta test these things. I like the concept, I like the capabilities, but these things just don't seem like they're ready for prime time. Too bad. :(

Not really Beta. I see your in Pacific. I live in Daly City. Your more than welcome to see my setup. Works great for me.
 
Not really Beta. I see your in Pacific. I live in Daly City. Your more than welcome to see my setup. Works great for me.

These things look cool, but it seems like a lot of folks are having issues with them. Too bad, as I am likely getting a new commuter bike soon and would love to have an easy video solution.
 
well ive had mine for a few weeks, day 1 i mounted the camera, fml didnt read the manual and realize the camera actually had a position indicator.

i tried ever so gently to twist the camera and take the clip off, dont really remember - but snnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppppppp

great, so i ordered some more mounts, good thing they were only $1 a piece, i bought like 7 diff things, and its coming from china for $7 shipped..... or so i really hope.

so the only mount i really wanted 2 use, i broke it without even getting to use it, and am waiting on my order to arrive now to install everything, but i notice the unit does funky things, sometimes it connects to my pc, sometimes not, it connects to my phone like 1% of the time as well.

oh for the price of $130, it seems ok, i really dislike the connection ports, they are not really recessed correctly, like the mini usb sticks 1/2 way out longer then normal

btw i have had

gopro 2
liquid ego 1080p
contour roam2
drift hd

and now this innov
 
Last edited:
I've got a relay with an adjustable(1-10sec) delay coming that should deal with the starting the bike issue. After I turn the key I'll have 10 seconds(or whatever I set it for) to start the bike. If I start it after that the delay will give the camera time to fully reset itself. I'm also wondering if a super capacitor in the power line wouldn't be a better solution. Something that can hold a few seconds of charge. This really seems like it can and should be addressed in a firmware update.

As far as the frozen screen goes, I've snugged up my hdmi connections and so far so good. I've only been on a few short rides though. Whatever the issue is I think it really needs to be addressed by the manufacturer. If there is momentary interference or loss of connection, the picture should only be affected for that amount of time. The problem is any interference causes the screen to freeze until the unit is powered off. It's just not to roll with the punches.
 
Last edited:
I've got a relay with an adjustable(1-10sec) delay coming that should deal with the starting the bike issue. After I turn the key I'll have 10 seconds(or whatever I set it for) to start the bike. If I start it after that the delay will give the camera time to fully reset itself. I'm also wondering if a super capacitor in the power line wouldn't be a better solution. Something that can hold a few seconds of charge. This really seems like it can and should be addressed in a firmware update.

How is that working?


As far as the frozen screen goes, I've snugged up my hdmi connections and so far so good. I've only been on a few short rides though. Whatever the issue is I think it really needs to be addressed by the manufacturer. If there is momentary interference or loss of connection, the picture should only be affected for that amount of time. The problem is any interference causes the screen to freeze until the unit is powered off. It's just not to roll with the punches.

The above two issues happen on some bikes, still work on what the root reason to have that.
 
The above two issues happen on some bikes, still work on what the root reason to have that.
You might want to have your team look at voltage/current dips and spikes in the charging system. I noticed that if I have the HID ballasts disconnected or have the camera mounted to a bike that doesn't have HIDs, I can turn the camera on and fire up the engine. The picture is fine and continues recording. If I reconnect the HID ballasts and fire up the engine with the camera on, the video feed gets knocked out. This is how I know it's not from the engine starting/stopping.

If the bike doesn't have HIDs, it might have something to do with the alternator or regulator/rectifier/charging system on certain bikes. Maybe an inline voltage regulator of some sort might be able to resolve the issues. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I only notice the pattern and how to get around it. It doesn't necessarily fix the issue, nor is it the same issue for everyone else.
 
I've had the GoPro HD, GoPro Hero 3 Black, Contour Roam and an Innovv...

For daily commute, the Innovv works very well, since it's set it and forget it. Of course, unless you run into issues with your unit or installation. Video quality is good enough for most insurance claims.

I love the Contour Roam for helmet footage, and I used it for commute for a long time until I got the Innovv. Easy to start recording, just slide one switch and you go. The downside to the Roam is the battery life and the non-replaceable battery.

The GoPro is used for on-bike footage for fun rides when I just want the fun parts of a ride, and not have to skim through hours of commute footage. I tried the GoPro on the helmet for a few weeks for recording my commute, but I hated the form factor and it had a very noticeable drag on the helmet. The Roam had some drag, but not as bad.

In terms of video quality, the GoPro has the best video quality. But not necessarily the best for "dashcam" style recording due to battery life issues.

The Innovv with a relay setup is easy. You don't even have to worry about turning it on/off, just ride.
 
I've had the GoPro HD, GoPro Hero 3 Black, Contour Roam and an Innovv...

For daily commute, the Innovv works very well, since it's set it and forget it. Of course, unless you run into issues with your unit or installation. Video quality is good enough for most insurance claims.

I love the Contour Roam for helmet footage, and I used it for commute for a long time until I got the Innovv. Easy to start recording, just slide one switch and you go. The downside to the Roam is the battery life and the non-replaceable battery.

The GoPro is used for on-bike footage for fun rides when I just want the fun parts of a ride, and not have to skim through hours of commute footage. I tried the GoPro on the helmet for a few weeks for recording my commute, but I hated the form factor and it had a very noticeable drag on the helmet. The Roam had some drag, but not as bad.

In terms of video quality, the GoPro has the best video quality. But not necessarily the best for "dashcam" style recording due to battery life issues.

The Innovv with a relay setup is easy. You don't even have to worry about turning it on/off, just ride.

great summary :thumbup
 
wow, a short summation on your experiences w/each one would be cool!

I'm still looking for one to buy. I want front/back coverage simultaneously so I guess I'm buying 2.

sure

gopro 2 mounted on bike

first cam i had, footage was great @ the time 1080P wow, mounts were great - ive reused their mounts on various diff brands now... and they are by far the best quality

only negative was battery life, the form factor - way to big, and difficult of on/off with gloves, sometimes you had to jump off bike take gloves off hit the button and stare till the red dot came on. :thumbdown

would still use it today if i didnt lawn sale it @ the carousel in infineon :x

liquid ego 1080p mounted on bike

got this for the remote viewing via smartphone wifi app, worked pretty well, footage was not as good as gopro2, i modified my base so it could work with gopro mounts, battery was just ok, the windnoise was decent since it had a oem plastic shroud covering it, i dont use it because i bought a contour roam 2/drift, very small button for shutter, but could use smartphone app to start rec.

just ok, the only good thing was the smartphone app, everything else was just ok, ok pic quality, ok battery life


drift hd mounted on helmet
2nd best to contour, easy mounting on helmet only thing was video quality not as good, difficult buttons to press with gloves, had replaceable batteries but had a design flaw in battery containment, there was no shock absorber designed into the battery or designed too loose, so anytime you took to severe of a bump the camera would turn off, i solved this by wedging in some compression grip stuff inside the battery spring - basically filling 50% of the springs void so the battery couldnt jolt loose as easily. Would be using it still today if i didnt get the contour.

contour roam 2 mounted on helmet
the best i think, easiest helmet mount and laser guide leveling, easiest on/off slider, nice video, ok battery,

easiest on/off slider, good video quality

not very happy with innov, i ordered some more 360 degree helmet slim clips, and they sent me these huge 2-3 inch 360 ball clamps.....

um ok.............
 
I've had the GoPro HD, GoPro Hero 3 Black, Contour Roam and an Innovv...

For daily commute, the Innovv works very well, since it's set it and forget it. Of course, unless you run into issues with your unit or installation. Video quality is good enough for most insurance claims.

I love the Contour Roam for helmet footage, and I used it for commute for a long time until I got the Innovv. Easy to start recording, just slide one switch and you go. The downside to the Roam is the battery life and the non-replaceable battery.

The GoPro is used for on-bike footage for fun rides when I just want the fun parts of a ride, and not have to skim through hours of commute footage. I tried the GoPro on the helmet for a few weeks for recording my commute, but I hated the form factor and it had a very noticeable drag on the helmet. The Roam had some drag, but not as bad.

In terms of video quality, the GoPro has the best video quality. But not necessarily the best for "dashcam" style recording due to battery life issues.

The Innovv with a relay setup is easy. You don't even have to worry about turning it on/off, just ride.
Same experience, GoPro Hero HD, Contour Roam, and Innovv C3. The C3 is the most convenient as a set and forget option as long as it's set up and pressure tested to work.

Battery life is the big drawback of the other cameras, and you can't leave them mounted on the bike because they're too easy to steal. I also didn't like how the drag pulls my helmet back or to the side when helmet mounting a GoPro at freeway speeds.
 
If you guys are looking at helmet cams be sure to check out the Mobius. Its not gopro quality but it will hold its own in a video comparison with a contour. I attach mine to the top of my helmet with 3m Velcro tape and its small, very light and less noticeable the most others. The battery lasts 2-2 1/2 hours and it can also run on a power bank or hardwire. I can record for about 8 hours straight with a 64gb card and a 3400mah power bank(also on helmet with Velcro). At $85 its well worth it. Not sure I'll be using it on the moto after I get the front/back C3's working reliably, but I'll still use it for other things.
 
Last edited:
If you guys are looking at helmet cams be sure to check out the Mobius. Its not gopro quality but it will hold its own in a video comparison with a contour. I attach mine to the top of my helmet with 3m Velcro tape and its small, very light and less noticeable the most others. The battery lasts 2-2 1/2 hours and it can also run on a power bank or hardwire. I can record for about 8 hours straight with a 64gb card and a 3400mah power bank(also on helmet with Velcro). At $85 its well worth it. Not sure I'll be using it on the moto after I get the front/back C3's working reliably, but I'll still use it for other things.

We have been working on 2 channel camera, :):):)

1. Loop recording, auto start/stop recording according with Engine.
2. front and rear both 1080p
3. 2.7" screen for easy settings, and playback review.
4. wired the button designed for protect video clips or start/stop recording.
5. GPS as optional, to review ridding videos with your location, speed, direction, route.
 
We have been working on 2 channel camera, :):):)

1. Loop recording, auto start/stop recording according with Engine.
2. front and rear both 1080p
3. 2.7" screen for easy settings, and playback review.
4. wired the button designed for protect video clips or start/stop recording.
5. GPS as optional, to review ridding videos with your location, speed, direction, route.

I would be very interested in a non - GPS version of this setup for my new bike.
 
Back
Top