• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Essential Trials Stickie

Yeah the Vert was great to ride but different enough from the Ossa that my score suffered. Had a miserable first loop (2 stupid 5's) that threw me off whack for the rest. Still placed second behind Joe Bill but I wasn't happy with how I rode. We got some good drops coming down between loop 2 and 3 and I was debating whether to stop and eat or just ride before it got really wet. Opted for food and it stopped so the dust was down a little on the last loop. Lots of open granite so if it got really wet that would've changed things for the worse.

Looking at the scores I got 38 or something riding SI; Harry and Chad were around 10 and 12 riding Masters...jeese those guys are good.

Hope to see you at Bear Valley, that will be a 2 day "A" event so lots of good riding. The SoCal club is coming up and there's a bit of hubbub about it, should be a fun event and both days go towards "A" club points....
 
Joe Bill is a good rider, I think he got 1st on Saturday's 1 line ahead of Robby Graves who is now riding advanced. Good job Luke!

I was wondering about the Bear valley Event and the two day structure. So no Vintage on Saturday, the winner in each class will be determined by overall best two day score? I think Clubman is equivalent to our intermediate class.

Hopefully the flier will explain it all.
 
Pretty sure the two days are being treated like two separate events and the only combined two day score is for the NorCal/SoCal competition. The classes will be a little odd, was talking with Sid, Matt and Bryce about that on Saturday night. They have the clubman 1 and 2 then Avd, Exp and Master? Can't remember exactly but I know SI and SP are named differently.

Supposedly the sections will be tough and the main intent is to try and match what the Socal guys put on at Kelseyville (whatever that Socal trial was). By matching then scoring can be consistent. It only applies to riders who go to both events so I'm out but Matt said we had about 18 riders go down there, they were pretty surprised by the showing I think.

It will be fun, never ridden there so I'm psyched, what's the camping scene there anyone know? Parking lot like Boreal or trees like PITS?
 
Nicasio this weekend, Sat & Sun and even camping out Sat night. Jim said there may be a small work party but not 100% sure (tree trimming) riding Sat and Sun.
 
So totally down for Nicasio I can't tell you.....
I'll gather the wagons on my end and make it happen. Will try to get there early afternoon on Sat with the pop-up and family!
I can bring some work party tools too if need be, maybe ask Jim if he needs anything.

Woohoo!::party
 
Hey you guys, fun to see and ride with you yesterday although it wasn't much. Rode one loop with Donna and did all the sections, she did pretty well. She kept saying " I can ride any of these obstacles alone but am losing my line up almost immediately". So true, once you try to tackle something in a section it all changes....That rock up there was unreal grip, don't think the stuff at the PITS property is that good. Amazing what you could just ride up.

So cool to see some of those pro guys ride, they are just amazing! That one guy (Daryl?) on the Honda!? Man, watching him in Matt's section on Sunday (#7 I think) coming down that 15', 60 degree slope onto a shelf was intense, so close to a nasty face plant! Then he goes over to that 4' undercut rock, goes straight up it, balances then blasts up the 12' face of the next rock and out, totally cleaned it! Inhuman!

October 8 is the end of red sticker but Carnegie has the Hill climb that weekend, need to get out and practice before the Granite trial....see you soon!
 
So true about tackling something on its own versus when you have to tie it all together in a section. I really should practice actually setting up markers to mimick an actual section.

Seeing the pro guys was just amazing. They have no fear and were doing some unbelievable stuff.

I have to work on the mental side of things. I get slow flustered if I start off an event with some 3's or 5 or make a silly mistake. Luckily Sid was there to calm me down and I rode better 2nd and 3rd loop. It's frustrating when you know you can make it through the obstacles fine, but something about it being an "event" that gets inside my head :)

Looking forward to riding with you guys at Carnegie once red sticker opens. The 4wd section would be fun or we can look for some new stuff up in the hills.
 
.....just picked up a bicycle trials bike for Donna and I to practice on.....wow, really makes you appreciate a motor. Having to move your feet really mucks with your balance! Super fun and great for learning hops though!
 
.....just picked up a bicycle trials bike for Donna and I to practice on.....wow, really makes you appreciate a motor. Having to move your feet really mucks with your balance! Super fun and great for learning hops though!

Let us know if you think it helps with trial skills. I was thinking about getting one beginning of this year as I can't ride in my backyard etc. Thought it would be nice to have something to practice on around the house.

I tried Jim's once and couldn't even pull a wheelie though :x
 
Spent some time on the bike last evening and learned something very cool. When you wheelie and try to move forward you have a tendency to lean farther back to balance the front end out. When you want to stand on the rear wheel and hop you stand almost vertical with the bars almost in your hips....
I was able to pull the front end up and static balance on the rear wheel (not moving) for a second or so (seemed like 5....); that was a complete game changer.

The position is so different from a normal wheelie positions you feel like you're and extra foot or two above the ground. This is the correct position for a huge amount of stuff in moto trials (splat or rear wheel hop/balance for instance) so feeling it with less commitment than it takes on a moto was good learning for sure.

Been playing with the rear wheel hops as well; on a moto I can get about 90 degrees of rotation, on the bicycle I can get about 130, soon to be 180. You lift and start to swing the rear then as you swing you pivot on the front. Hoping I can translate this technique to moto as well so I can reliably get 90 rather than wishing I can.

So far I'd say get one Mark; its only been a couple of days but there are some things I'm already excited to try on the moto....good workout too. If you come up to the Granite trial we may bring them, you could try it out if you have time.
 
Last edited:
Sorry Guys been busy with work and the haunt, I had a blast at the trials but showing up on game day with no acclimation to the altitude was tough. It was pretty tough and technical trials but had a good time. I hurt my knee somewhere out there or maybe just from all the riding? Had to get a cortisone shot yesterday to help with the pain and swelling bummer ! I'll be at the next trial but on Sun only and checking at that (have to maintain that second place position since Pat killed me and the Int A class as well claiming the first place championship. Luke I tried Bryce's bike and it was way weird, I figured I would need it for a day or two to adjust but I'm sure it would help with some skills as well as physical training, Jim has one too and he likes it just be careful about the pedals, they love to take chunks of flesh out of your shin. CARNAGIE !!!!
 
Last edited:
That sucks to hear about your knee, work musta' made it really a drag. I was really surprised to see you on Sunday, had just talked with Mark and we had both thought you weren't making it....good show but that elevation with no acclimation is trouble for sure.

Too late about the warning about the shins...nailed one of mine really good last weekend...the pedals grip really well (whether that's your shoe or shin...).

Hill climb is next weekend (same as Granite) then its open season out there. It'll be fun to get back to some of our normal practice spots.
 
Well I sold the Ossa....good guy that we will likely see at upcoming events. He's coming from an enduro background and is a good rider, lives up near Auburn and is psyched to get into trials. His name is Mike, about my height and may come up to the event this weekend (might even ride it). If you see a noob out there looking around and asking questions please help him out (I know all the trials community will), he'll be good addition to PITS.

One of my daughters is sick today so that may mean we don't make it up this weekend, I'll have to see how she does in the next day or so. If we don't come up I may take the Vert out to Carnegie on Saturday, do some practice and watch some of the hillclimb event.....or stay home and ride in the back yard and practice on the bicycle.
 
Congrats on selling the OSSA. I know people are having some trouble finding buyers. Hopefully your daughter feels better and you can make it up. I'll be up there Sunday.

I'm running into parts issues on my gasser. Marzocchi doesn't make trials forks anymore so Adrian said finding parts might become an issue. New bikes use different brand.
 
Congrats on an awesome ride Mark killer riding....Barry Slayer. Luke congrats on selling the Ossa, I see you didn't make it up, me either we worked until 1:30 Sat night and super busy scaring people. I think running around caring a chainsaw and screaming is more of a workout then trials Im so sore and lost my voice.If you guys get a chance come out to the Haunted Hornet Fri through Sun 7 pm to midnight and until 11 on Sundays.
 
Thanks Sid! Was looking for your rig but figured you had a late night. At least you have a while to heal up before Prairie City :) I injured my wrist when I fell coming off a log so hopefully it heals up in a week or two.

Luke, I was talking with the guy you sold your OSSA to after the event. Seems like a nice guy who is really interested in the sport. He was checking a section with another fella.
 
Good to hear Mike made it up, he seemed like good people to me when I met him. I'll bet he got to see some good action as a checker.

Bummer about the wrist, doesn't look like it affected your scores though!
 
Yeah bummer about the wrist, I hope you heal fast. I'll probably not ride much until after Halloween to busy with work and the haunt, but soon after for sure. We'll have to hook up out at Carnagie or Metcalfe, Luke got you red sticker ?
 
Yep, all legit and ready to roll!! Get some rain this weekend to help the dust and roll out to Carnegie next weekend? Could be fun, not sure how long your haunting gig lasts but at least the drive is shorter and we could start later. 22nd at 11 ok with you? :)

Mark you'll have to come out at some point and show us what you've been working on, inquiring minds want to know!
 
Back
Top