• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Essential Trials Stickie

Not sure about the 22nd, haunt demands a lot of energy, five hours of screaming and running while firing up a chainsaw all in one motion..hahaha. I'll let you know upon closer date and time.
 
Weirdest thing happened today, bike was running fine. Took break and went to restart, when I did rev'd full throttle until it starved out out gas. Kill switch, covering exhaust pipe etc did nothing. It wouldn't restart and felt stiff when kicking over. Anyway pulled barrel and saw these marks at bottom BELOW where rings are.

Are these normal? I have a new piston and rings, but not sure if barrel needs repairing. Thoughts?




 
Last edited:
Sorry that happened Mark, musta' been freaky while it was revving out like that. In that situation I kick it into the highest gear, put on the front brake rear brake and start to let off the clutch to kill it. I have little faith in the exhaust technique and the kill switch doesn't work with the revs past 2/3rds or so....Wonder if a cable was stuck or just a stuck slide/needle...

To the motor: that burn mark where it is can only be one thing: burned oil residue collecting the side of the barrel where the piston pin cut-away is. That means either the incoming charge was so hot in the bottom case that the oil burned or the primary combustion chamber wasn't exhausting enough and burnt charge was returning back into the lower case through the transfers....it's more likely to be the latter but it means there were some really high temps in the lower chamber....not too good for it. If it all feels ok (crank and rod bearings) then I'd put in new piston and run it but keep a sharp ear on it. I'm guessing that episode detracted from the bearing life, since we don't rev them hard too often it may be a big factor. If this was an enduro bike I'd be thinking a bottom end re-do would be in order...
 
Thanks Luke! Yeah there is a grinding noise when I roatate crank so bearing probably took a beating like you said. Pretty sure I'm going to just take it Adrian so he can order parts and diagnose.

Hopefully it's back together before prairie city.
 
Sorry to see that Mark, I have no clue, Luke is the expert here for sure. Do I see a Vertigo or new GasGas in the works here ? :teeth
 
Confirmed...spun the connecting rod bearing. Thankfully the cylinder is okay so once Adrian has the parts I should have a nice fresh engine. Hopefully in time for Prairie City.

Yes Sid, was drooling over the new bikes today. If my bike wasn't a legitimate green sticker or I lived closer to the PITS property, I would buy a new one in a heartbeart. Gotta try to get another few years out of this one now.
 
ALl said and done that's kinda' good news. Get a basically new motor that will last for the next couple of years for you. I know it may be heresy but you could own TWO trials bikes....as long as they like eachother : )

Glad you got it sorted, with GG up and running again the fix is easy just the timing is bad.
 
Exactly, it's been a good bike for the most part. I'm considering a new Gas Gas mostly because if I kept my old one I could use the green sticker from it without likely running into any problems during green sticker season.
 
Carnegie this weekend ?

Don't think I'll have my bike back by this weekend Sid.

Adrian is stilling waiting on a connecting rod kit from someone in Spain. No dealer or even the factory had one which is kind of scary.

Planning on taking the big bike out to Hollister as it's been a while since I've ridden it.
 
Well, the last trials event went on without any issues, rain even held out all day for surprisingly good conditions. I checked and didn't ride, I need those workers points. Luke I met the guy that bought your bike he was riding the sportsman line and seemed to be doing quite well, nice guy. Mark, didn't see you there I figured that Sat night dinner party must have been a too many Beers night....hahahah ! Any ways the season is over and so is red sticker season so hopefully we can all hook up and ride. Jim was saying they are riding at Nicasio this weekend not sure what day though. I'd like to get him and Allison out to Carnagie since they haven't been there. Any ways Happy Thanksgiving and we shall ride soon.
 
Exactly, it's been a good bike for the most part. I'm considering a new Gas Gas mostly because if I kept my old one I could use the green sticker from it without likely running into any problems during green sticker season.

Just stay away from hollister.
There on to that!
 
Bummed I couldn't make the Turkey Trial :( My bike is still at Adrian's, waiting on parts. I'm hoping to get it back within the next week or two once he gets the connecting rod kit.

If you guys put together a riding day at Carnegie let me know.

Can't believe how much I miss riding my bike!
 
Good to hear Mike (guy that bought my Ossa) made it, he'll be a good addition to the group. My back has still been bugging me all week, thought it was gone yesterday but after too much lifting its sore again (duh). I'm hoping it gets better quick, we're planning on riding at least one day over the break but Saturday its looking like rain. I don't mind the rain but you know how Carnegie mud gets when wet.....Keep an eye on the weather and have a great holiday; Sid say "hi" to Francesca, I hope her trip out East went OK. Mark, you will have a bike again; talk to Santa about it!
 
Yeah its still happening, should be good weather too. Starts at 9:30 breaks for lunch from 12 to 1pm then ends around 3/3:30.
 
Saw the pics on facebook, looked liked fun! I'm still waiting on my bike :( I know Adrian is going to be busy with a move to the new location but I'm hoping in the next week or so.
 
Back
Top