• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

What a great ride with such a skilled bunch of riders! I'm looking forward to more rides with you guys and I'm definitely going to have to go back there for some additional exploring and camping. And a special thanks to Bruno for the gas that allowed me to come back with the group on the return trip! I think the promise of beer might have swayed me a bit too :) Cheers!
 
Man what a difference good tires and good company make. It was a fantastic ride. Bruno's gift of gas and beer with some beer cooler shenanigans thrown in sure made for an outstanding way to cap off the dirt ride. :teeth

Every time I look out the window I keep catching myself reliving the ride today. I believe the only solution to that problem is to do it again with some additional exploring. That ridge line at the top of Rd 40 is calling my name... Anyone want to play hooky and do some camping?

-Mark

Pics from Rd 40:
 

Attachments

  • DSCN8682.jpg
    DSCN8682.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN8687.jpg
    DSCN8687.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN8688.jpg
    DSCN8688.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN8691.jpg
    DSCN8691.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 111
Camping and not going to work are two of my favorite things. Let me know and I'll see what I can do.
 
The old raft launch point (road leading north from the 4-way at the ridge) has a reputation for bear visits.

Not a big deal but probably best not to take a snack into your tent at night.
 
Great to see some familiar faces again yesterday for my farewell Berryessa/Knoxville ride! I missed the WR through Knoxville, but the other 180 miles today were a bit more enjoyable.
@ Aaron - sorry I didn't say "bye" and took off on 680 with barely a tip of the helmet. It was good to see you again!
 
Paul,

I enjoyed the few times we rode together. You'll be missed.

Good luck in your new environment.
 
Sounds like you all had a great day! Too bad I missed this one... Had to work. Hopefully next month's or if anyone just wants to make a day trip. Post up and if i'm off we can go. I sometimes have days off during the week too.
 
Good ride guys. Thanks to Lunch Box for leading the way. Sorry I missed the second half.
See you on the next one!

We will have to have an adventure ride down to the Rock Store to visit Paul!
 
Yikes, thanks Ray for the bear warning! OK, tow rope will need to do double duty to hang food.

I just tested my new tent, sleeping bag and pad last night and checked out the lunar eclipse at the same time. Gear worked out great so I think I'm ready to go. My schedule is flexible. Any dates soon good for you guys?
 
Planned on joining you guys this weekend, but, well you know, sometimes life gets in the way of fun. Hope to see you on the next one.

Been wanting to do an overnight at Buck island for a while now, so count me in! I actually saw a bear on Reiff road a couple of years back, so it aint just rumors. Bear containers work better than ropes if anyone has one (I do).

Paul - sorry to hear you're departing for the southland. Good part - its closer to Baja!
 
Thanks for the tip Leo. After some research, I agree that bear canisters do seem like the best way to go. In searching for the best price on the popular BV 500 canister, I found campsaver has it for $69.99. Take 20% off with coupon code: AF20NA14

No tax in CA and free shipping: http://www.campsaver.com/bear-canister

This coupon also works on the excellent lightweight Helinox chair which is ideal for ADV riding: http://www.campsaver.com/helinox-chair

So...anyone up for doing some exploring and camping out there next week?
 
Paul - sorry to hear you're departing for the southland. Good part - its closer to Baja!
This. Paul - sorry to see you go :( - been a real pleasure riding with you :thumbup:teeth...don't be a stranger - best of luck to you on your new adventures in the southland, both on and off the bike :thumbup...lets us know when you're all settled in and have located the good riding spots and we will plan a 2nd Sunday Weekend ride down there...:twofinger :teeth:party


Tim
 
Hey Paul,

Bummer your leaving, but at least you'll be closer the LA Barstow Vegas ride! I'll be going again this fall, hope to see you there!
 
Paul, you should start a good bye thread.

I enjoyed riding with you & really appreciate the help you provided when I had my accident.

Let me know if you need any help moving. I've got a 3 rail trailer you can use if you need to tow your motorcycles to LA - providing it can get back up here. :)


One of the things that makes you stand out is the fact you're the only rider I know who stops for cigarette breaks. While not something you probably want to be known about, it looks cool nonetheless. :afm199
 
Paul, just read your post. I rode the BK with you just once but it was a blast. Thanks again for your help and keeping the ride at a "learning curve" pace!

Chris
 
hey guys, I would like to join you on the next ride. I just got a klr 650 and would like to start doing some adventure riding.I have a lot of dirt riding experience but need to get used to this bikes weight a bit, hope its still on for this month cause its mothers day and all
 
I couldn't find any takers to go ride and camp out at Buck Island last week so I decided to do the right thing and be adventurous. Translation: My friends have (rightly?) forsaken me, I’ll be all alone in the middle of nowhere without a cell signal and what could possibly go wrong?

What follows is the tale of my questionable decision to earn that ADV sticker as can only be appropriately told through pictures.
 
All loaded up at Davis Creek Reservoir last Thursday with Giant Loop coyote, Wolfman enduro tank bag, BV500 food canister, Rotopax, Helinox chair and tent. This is probably the most mercury laden body of water in all of California. Good thing I saved weight and only brought iodine pills instead of a proper water filter.
 

Attachments

  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 104
Ridge top run to Buck Island nearing sunset. I can’t believe I have this place to myself! I mean really, a spot that feels this remote with simply breathtaking views is right here in the crowded Bay Area? Clearly I made the right call to head out.
 

Attachments

  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 104
Back
Top